Well folks, it's been a week. Not one that I'd care to revisit anytime soon, but nonetheless, for those who keep up on our little family's saga, it is something to write about. First, I'd like to take this time to ask for your thoughts and prayers for the Meisers (aka our "Namily.") Earlier this month Kevin lost his dad. 3 weeks to the day later, Chris's mom passed away. Please keep them in your prayers as they lay Chris's mom to rest this week. This has been a month of much sorrow for their families.
Ok, where do I begin. How about with one of the scariest Mom moments to date. Tuesday afternoon the boys and I were watching "The Fox & the Hound." I was in the middle of getting ready to dose off and Shawn's face caught my eye. I thought I was dreaming for a moment. Under his eyes and across the bride of his nose were all of these raised bubbles that looked like water blisters! His face was swollen! My thought was that I was seeing things. So I grabbed him and brought him to window light. Sure enough, there were raised bubbles all over under his eyes. Immediately I grabbed my phone and called the doctor. They said to bring him right in. Kevin and Chris came over to take a quick look, and by that time the bubbles had started to fade. 'Til I got him out to the car they were almost gone, and at the doctor's they was no trace of them. It was a mystery. While we were at the office I asked their doctor to take a look at Landon. Earlier in the day his eye had started to water and right about the time we left home he had green mucus draining out. This child showed no other symptoms of anything wrong with him until that day other than he pulled at his ears some over the past week or so. We thought him going for his ears was because he had 4 teeth pop through at one time. So the doc looks in his ears and sure enough he's got a bad ear infection in one ear, and the other one on its way there. Our 1st ear infections! No way! Shawn has never had one (despite me taking him in for pulling at his ears as a baby, which ended up being teething... hence why I never took Landon because he showed no other symptoms.) Now, this much I know, Landon doesn't cry too much when he gets hurt. He's a tough cookie. So I'm thinking that is part of why we had no clue. Still, I feel like the Mother of the Year award was lost this week for not knowing my baby had an ear infection :(
Ok, now we're at Walmart to pick up Landon's antibiotic. I promised Shawn we could grab a quick bite to eat out if he was good while we waited. During dinner he starts whining and itching at his stomach. Sure enough, those huge bubbles are back! I can literally see them forming up his back now! So I called the doctor's office and they said to take him to the ER. I have a child who is turning red and getting warm at this point (Landon.) And Shawn who is itching all over from Lord knows what! The Meiser's had enough on their plate and I really needed someone to either be with Landon at home or go with to the ER to help with Landon while they treat Shawn. Aunt Tearsa to the rescue! I never have called her in such a panic. Well, with Landon just having taken his first dose of antibiotic (one that there are MANY allergies on both sides of the family to) I wasn't comfortable taking him home with as sick as he was, plus, Shawn needed attention, now! By the time we got to the ER Shawn had fallen asleep. When I woke him he started grabbing at his feet and clawing to get his socks and shoes off. He was miserable... screaming... not wanting anyone to touch him! Talk about freaking out... I didn't know what was wrong! His feet were swollen and had these bubbles on them! They got him back very quickly and knew right away it wad a pretty bad hives breakout. They got benadryl in him right away. After a little while he was better. He calmed down, let the nurse take his blood pressure, oxygen levels, and they even gave him a handmade pillow to snuggle with and take him. After the initial freak out, the visit went really well despite everything going on.
I have never been more scared! They were asking questions like "Any new foods? Soaps? Pets? Detergents? Etc." Nothing at all that I could think of. Their best guess was a virus leaving the body and came in the form of hives. Since then he's had a few small break outs, but nothing that terrifying.
Landon. Oh sweet Landon. At the ER he started feeling really warm and his cheeks were bright red. They took a temp on him and it was fine. I had both the kids to bed by like 9:30. Around 11:30ish Landon wakes up crying. He was shaking! Totally not acting right! Oh, yea, he was burning up! The poor child had a fever of around 103. Tylenol was the first attempt to lower it. 45-1hr later... no change. So, I called up to the ER. Luckily the same woman who saw Shawn earlier was there. She said to give him infants Motrin. Yea, we do not have Motrin because Shawn has never been really sick or had a fever that high. So 1:30am and I'm off to Walmart. Just as I get ready to leave, the phone rings. It's the NICU and a case for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep needs someone there. We do not do over night calls, or even accept them that late. I knew of the case, and had arrangements for one of the photographer's to go in the morning. The Motrin took a little while, but slowly brought the fever down. It was a rough night, with only about 3 hours of sleep. Shawn woke up at one point coughing so hard he almost threw up. We held Landon most of the night to keep an eye on him.
Jon and I's thoughts on this. We went nearly 4 years without anything more than a simple cold. Friends around us had kids puking, fevers, infections, you name it. We kept wondering when we would get hit. Well, the boys decided to double team us that night. Thoughtful of them, huh?
So, if you'd made it down here to the pictures you deserve some kind of medal. I'd send you one, but we're fresh out. Sorry. But hey, the pics are cute, so that's the reward. Fair?
Ok, where do I begin. How about with one of the scariest Mom moments to date. Tuesday afternoon the boys and I were watching "The Fox & the Hound." I was in the middle of getting ready to dose off and Shawn's face caught my eye. I thought I was dreaming for a moment. Under his eyes and across the bride of his nose were all of these raised bubbles that looked like water blisters! His face was swollen! My thought was that I was seeing things. So I grabbed him and brought him to window light. Sure enough, there were raised bubbles all over under his eyes. Immediately I grabbed my phone and called the doctor. They said to bring him right in. Kevin and Chris came over to take a quick look, and by that time the bubbles had started to fade. 'Til I got him out to the car they were almost gone, and at the doctor's they was no trace of them. It was a mystery. While we were at the office I asked their doctor to take a look at Landon. Earlier in the day his eye had started to water and right about the time we left home he had green mucus draining out. This child showed no other symptoms of anything wrong with him until that day other than he pulled at his ears some over the past week or so. We thought him going for his ears was because he had 4 teeth pop through at one time. So the doc looks in his ears and sure enough he's got a bad ear infection in one ear, and the other one on its way there. Our 1st ear infections! No way! Shawn has never had one (despite me taking him in for pulling at his ears as a baby, which ended up being teething... hence why I never took Landon because he showed no other symptoms.) Now, this much I know, Landon doesn't cry too much when he gets hurt. He's a tough cookie. So I'm thinking that is part of why we had no clue. Still, I feel like the Mother of the Year award was lost this week for not knowing my baby had an ear infection :(
Ok, now we're at Walmart to pick up Landon's antibiotic. I promised Shawn we could grab a quick bite to eat out if he was good while we waited. During dinner he starts whining and itching at his stomach. Sure enough, those huge bubbles are back! I can literally see them forming up his back now! So I called the doctor's office and they said to take him to the ER. I have a child who is turning red and getting warm at this point (Landon.) And Shawn who is itching all over from Lord knows what! The Meiser's had enough on their plate and I really needed someone to either be with Landon at home or go with to the ER to help with Landon while they treat Shawn. Aunt Tearsa to the rescue! I never have called her in such a panic. Well, with Landon just having taken his first dose of antibiotic (one that there are MANY allergies on both sides of the family to) I wasn't comfortable taking him home with as sick as he was, plus, Shawn needed attention, now! By the time we got to the ER Shawn had fallen asleep. When I woke him he started grabbing at his feet and clawing to get his socks and shoes off. He was miserable... screaming... not wanting anyone to touch him! Talk about freaking out... I didn't know what was wrong! His feet were swollen and had these bubbles on them! They got him back very quickly and knew right away it wad a pretty bad hives breakout. They got benadryl in him right away. After a little while he was better. He calmed down, let the nurse take his blood pressure, oxygen levels, and they even gave him a handmade pillow to snuggle with and take him. After the initial freak out, the visit went really well despite everything going on.
I have never been more scared! They were asking questions like "Any new foods? Soaps? Pets? Detergents? Etc." Nothing at all that I could think of. Their best guess was a virus leaving the body and came in the form of hives. Since then he's had a few small break outs, but nothing that terrifying.
Landon. Oh sweet Landon. At the ER he started feeling really warm and his cheeks were bright red. They took a temp on him and it was fine. I had both the kids to bed by like 9:30. Around 11:30ish Landon wakes up crying. He was shaking! Totally not acting right! Oh, yea, he was burning up! The poor child had a fever of around 103. Tylenol was the first attempt to lower it. 45-1hr later... no change. So, I called up to the ER. Luckily the same woman who saw Shawn earlier was there. She said to give him infants Motrin. Yea, we do not have Motrin because Shawn has never been really sick or had a fever that high. So 1:30am and I'm off to Walmart. Just as I get ready to leave, the phone rings. It's the NICU and a case for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep needs someone there. We do not do over night calls, or even accept them that late. I knew of the case, and had arrangements for one of the photographer's to go in the morning. The Motrin took a little while, but slowly brought the fever down. It was a rough night, with only about 3 hours of sleep. Shawn woke up at one point coughing so hard he almost threw up. We held Landon most of the night to keep an eye on him.
Jon and I's thoughts on this. We went nearly 4 years without anything more than a simple cold. Friends around us had kids puking, fevers, infections, you name it. We kept wondering when we would get hit. Well, the boys decided to double team us that night. Thoughtful of them, huh?
So, if you'd made it down here to the pictures you deserve some kind of medal. I'd send you one, but we're fresh out. Sorry. But hey, the pics are cute, so that's the reward. Fair?

From a few days before the "incident."
Shawn & Nanny hanging out on the back porch.

It's here! On April 12th Jon and I celebrated 7 years of marriage. My surprise? A proposal! Jon took it upon himself to get my rings soldered together, re-rhodium plated, and cleaned. Unfortunately with them being soldered together, they also needed to be re-sized. Well, today I'm a married woman again (as Jon says.) Thank you love. That was one of the sweetest anniversary gifts ever. It's nice to finally have them back on my finger after a few years (yikes! yes, years!) of them in the jewelry box.

Canon loves doggie loofas. If you ever have the sudden urge to get a dog toy for no reason. Think of these. They do not last long while in his possession. So next time you are in the pet isle and think of our handsome little pup here, think Loofa. Doggie Loofa.
Oh, he'd like me to remind everyone that his birthday is coming up. June 13th he'll be 1!

From the horrid night in the ER (taken on my cell.)
This was after the medicine kicked in and he was calming and snuggling with that new pillow.

The pillow. It hasn't really left Shawn's side since that night. Someone at the hospital makes them for kiddos so they feel safe and have a distraction from all the scary things at a hospital. Each pillow comes with a tag and a bible verse. They are in memory of someone who passed away there. Neat idea huh?

With Landon having been sick the past few days, my camera was the last thing on my mind. I needed something, a little fix so to speak of something sweet and cute. This picture sure did the trick. Nap time. Shirt tail out. Hands on his belly button. And those feet. Oh those adorable feet!

You'll never guess what Shawn asked for for his birthday.
Ironic huh? Let's just see if they get that wish ;)

A little "biz" news. The new CD case layout for disks. They are wonderfully made!
See that belly? Well the baby is here: http://arawphotog.blogspot.com








Glad the boys are starting to feel better. The picture of Landon sleeping is such a cute one. Your ring is so beautiful. Cody made me a ring tonight and i asked him if it was my engagement ring and he said if i want it to be. The boys have one great Nanny. She is a funny lady. I like her. You tell she really loves Shawn and Landon and they love her back just as much. And your not a bad parent for not knowing what was going on with Landon. Just wait until he can talk. He will be able to tell you that something is wrong. You are an amazing mother. Amazing sister-in-law, wife and so much more. We love you guys all so much. And miss you tons and more
ReplyDeleteJonathan, that was such a romantic thing you did for Ashley, what thoughtful man you are. Ashley, never doubt your parenting capabilities, you and Jon are fantastic parents as I have told you many times. It is very difficult to diagnose an ear infection, especially when the child doesn't talk and is teething. We love you all so much, and can not wait for our visit.
ReplyDeleteGlad I could be there, I'm just happy the boys are feeling better. They seemed so miserable that night </3
ReplyDeleteBy the way, the ring looks beautiful. I can't wait to see it. Miss you guys so much. i love you.